Today we’re going to talk about how to use some inexpensive products to create DIY flower arrangements. Plastic floral containers and floral foam or styrofoam forms can be the foundation for a great DIY flower arrangement. Both items are cheap, under $2 a piece, but they can establish form and give support and structure to your flower stems.
Design bowls are available in many shapes and sizes. They are used by professionals and DIYers alike to create low floral centerpieces perfect for reception and bridal party tables.
- Depending on the size of your styrofoam or floral foam block trim it to fit the design bowl. Secure with several dabs of adhesive or hot glue.
- Trim assorted silk flower stems to about 3 1/2″- 4″ long. (foam and container are about 3″ deep)
- Begin placing stems in foam, start with the main type of flower then add secondary flowers, finishing with filler flowers and greenery. Tip: arrange floral stems at varying heights to add depth to the arrangement.
Just as the inexpensive, basic design bowl gave us structure and the shape to create a low floral arrangement this next product gives us the flexibility to take on height. The round floral container for pillars is the perfect foundation for a tall flower arrangement.
- Secure the styrofoam half ball to the container using adhesive or hot glue.
- Trim hydrangea flower stems to about 2″, the styrofoam ball is 1 7/8″ tall.
- Arrange hydrangea stems around the styrofoam covering all surfaces.
- Orchid stems may need to be trimmed slightly, measure how far they lay off the arrangement. Insert orchid stems in deep, around the arrangement.
- Lastly, place the finished flower arrangement on the round floral container onto the vase or pillar to complete the centerpiece. Tip: Using tall arrangements make sure they are weighted or secured at the base so not to easily tip over once on the table.
With a few tips and the right products to use as the foundation for your DIY flower arrangements you’ll get the perfect look for your wedding day. Shop afloral silk wedding flowers and floral supplies.